Tuesday, January 16, 2007

I have been in London for a bit over two weeks, and much has happened. Above all I have moved into my flat (aka my apartment) and started classes at Queen Mary University of London. My flat is really nice. I share it with 5 other people, 2 Americans and 3 Brits. I have my own room, complete with a private bathroom. (OK, as you can see from the picture, the bathroom is a little lacking. The shower is technically just the corner of the bathroom, and I don't know why there is an actual shower curtain, because the water still goes everywhere, but its my very own crappy bathroom.) I have also been enjoying our kitchen, and being able to make my own food. My flatmates were really happy when they learned I could "properly cook." I am taking Basic Biochemistry, a Spanish literature class titled "The Boom of the Latin American Novel", a Brazilian Culture class, and a Beginning French class. So far I am really liking the British system of education. It involves me going to class about 8 hours a week for 16 hours of credit. It is a teach yourself system, which is fine for me. I have also noticed that the students here don't appear particularly happy to be in the little class they have, so maybe its a good system for them. I have also been taken by some of the quirks of British life. I find myself really enjoying tea (with milk and sugar, as a good Brit drinks) with digestives (little cookies to eat with tea that taste kinda like graham crackers - they also come in a chocolate dipped version - superb)

As for things for you readers to look forward to, I have many trips from my time in Spain to add, including my holiday-time trek through the North and stays in Barcelona and Mallorca, in addition to all the odd and interesting things that occur in London.

Until the next post, I leave you all with some pictures...








3 comments:

Maren said...

I like your tea and digestives pic, supurb!

Anonymous said...

Finally, the long awaited update! Thanks, I enjoyed reading it and seeing your flat.
Mom

Anonymous said...

I agree with Maren, way to represent Oklahoma!!!
Leah